For the most part, my kids keep their toys in their rooms. I have decreased the amount of toys that Blake has in his room by 50%, and placed the rest in the garage in storage bins. My kids don't really have a ton of toys, and I have found it to be so much easier for Blake to play in his room (for my requested 3 hours...) when there is less mess to make! He can concentrate easier, not get hurt, and create really cool things...like a drive in movie theater with an ice cream shop...all made out of tinker toys and a marble run!
I came to a point where I didn't want to clean up toys in their rooms at the end of the day, and after Blake had smashed the contents of yet another board game from stepping on it, I cleaned his entire room out of toys.
Every single bit. And left the books.
He now is earning each toy back one at a time. Everyday he get to choose a new toy based on how he was able to treat the other toys from the day before. That includes putting them away.
I tried the same trick with Parker about a week later. I told him that unless he picked up his toys right then and there, I would take all 6 of his baskets of toys.
He responded with exasperated arms, "Just take tem Mommy, take tem."
No comments:
Post a Comment